Why are our rentals cheaper?
Quite simply because we specialize in commission-free owner direct rentals
with a very small broker’s fee
(cost of the listing for the owner, which was less than 1% of the rent in 2013).
Professionals add large commissions because their marketing costs are high:
Traditional professional channels
||Real estate agents
||20% to 40%
Other sites often apply a commission that varies between 8% and 20% (addition of the commission applied to both the owner and the renter):
Sites funded by
an owner and/or a renter commission
||8% to 20%
of commission overall
MediaVacationRentals.com is funded by an annual registration fee paid by the owner
, which represents less than 1%* of the rent and therefore has no impact on it.
Cost of the listing <1% of the rent*
*The broker’s fee was estimated at around 0.8% for 2013. It was calculated from the following information:
- Number of email queries in 2013,
- Ratio of phone enquiries (owner survey 2012),
- Ratio of confirmed bookings (owner survey 2012),
- Average length of stay requested in 2013,
- Average rent of a stay in 2013
- Average price of a listing in 2013
Up to 50% off: check out the Last Minute & Special Offers
User security: our top priority
For MediaVacationRentals.com, our owners and renters security is a top priority for us. The site uses sophisticated tools and reliable procedures for highly effective results against suspicious or fraudulent behavior.
Are the listings on MediaVacationRentals.com verified?
We don’t actually visit the properties ourselves. Instead, we use cutting edge software and manual control processes to check the legitimacy of the online ads. In some cases, we may get in touch with a solicitor or local officials to check out the property or the owner’s identity.
While these tried and tested methods have ensured the reliability and quality of MediaVacationRentals.com, we have to be continually vigilant, as always on the internet, and respect a few basic security rules
A few security tips:
- Call the owner
- Check the date that the listing was created
- Ask for a written contract stating the financial conditions
Some behavior may raise your suspicions, especially if the listing is recent (less than 4 months; see the listing history’ at the bottom of the listing page):
- the owner asks for a large deposit (more than 35%),
- they offer a big reduction if you pay all or most of the price upfront on booking,
- the rent is very low in relation to the property description,
- they ask you to pay by postal money order, Western Union, or any other online payment method,
- they offer you some form of identity when you haven’t asked for it.
Our Quality policy
The importance of quality
We want to ensure that our customers continue to use our service, and have absolutely no interest in acting as a platform for misleading listings. That is why we have set up a highly effective quality control process, based on the information (reviews) that the renters are systematically invited to send us.
This quality control process means we can guarantee a high level of rental quality.
Our renters are the best judges of the quality of the rentals on offer
The reviews our renters send in are the best source of quality information
about the properties rented, since:
- they are ongoing (14 stays per listing/year on average)
- by definition, they describe the real rental conditions, enabling us to check how the owner manages the property
The points that we check
In the framework of our quality control policy, we check:
- The listing’s compliance with the real condition of the holiday rental
- How the property is managed by the owner
- The quality of the property
- Whether all the equipment works properly
The quality control process
We invite the guests to write a review of the rental
This is published on the website
Quality Control Process
If there is a negative review or negative feedback (phone call, e-mail)
Inquiry by our quality control department
- We contact former renters to see if the complaint is well-founded
- In-depth checks (listing, photos, contract, location, etc.)
- Discussion with the unhappy renter
- Discussion with the owner
If the investigation finds the complaint is well-founded
Corrective action is taken
Depending on the seriousness of the complaint about the rental:
- Listing removed
- A " Quality Warning" is included in the listing
- Correction/improvement to the property by the owner with submission of evidence
- The listing is altered
The listing ("Quality" section) includes the reason(s) for the complaint, the results of the inquiry and the action taken
Actions taken to ensure the quality of the rentals on offer
Many websites simply post the different negative reviews with varying degrees of accuracy. Our site follows the quality process through to the end!
- We systematically launch a quality control process if there is negative feedback about a rental (negative review, phone call, e-mail, etc.).
- We check the nature of the criticisms made about the rental and get in touch with former guests.
- If necessary, we introduce corrective measures.
To ensure our vacation rentals are of the highest quality:
- In the event of a serious problem (e.g.: non compliant electricity, deliberately misleading listing, repeated management failings): the listing is removed.
- If there is a problem due to insufficient information (e.g.: rental situated in busy and noisy downtown) the the listing will be edited or a "MediaVacationRentals.com Quality Alert" will be added
- Problem requiring action by the owner (e.g.: obsolete equipment): owner asked to improve the situation and information given to potential renters, which will only be removed when proof of improvement has been sent to us by the owner (invoices).
The strict application of this exclusive policy for over 10 years means that we offer a very high standard of rentals. Our owners are serious renters who understand our demanding conditions and are happy to accept them.
Reliable positive reviews
For MediaVacationRentals.com, the legitimacy of positive reviews is extremely important. Consequently, we have set up a strict and highly controlled review posting procedure. MediaVacationRentals.com does not have a “Leave a review” button, for instance.
That’s why, although there may not be a lot of reviews on MediaVacationRentals.com, they are very reliable.
Better equipped rentals
Why are MediaVacationRentals.com rentals better equipped?
Owner-direct rentals are also regularly used by their owners. This means that they are often better equipped than professional rentals, so you can easily find MediaVacationRentals.com vacation rentals with:
- TV, broadband, games console, stereo system,
- Garden furniture and/or a BBQ,
- A fireplace,
- Toaster, fondue set and/or a raclette, full set of pots and pans, dishes,
- Washing machine and/or dishwasher,
- Iron, vacuum cleaner,
- Games and/or books,
- and so on
Other advantages of MediaVacationRentals.com
Using the mailbox means that your messages to the owner remain securise. The system tells you when your messages have been read for safe and faster bookings. All the documents sent are checked first to ensure there are no viruses.
Cell phone version: 20,000 cheaper vacation rentals in the palm of your hand...
MediaVacationRentals.com automatically adapts to your support platform and automatically changes to your smartphone or pad. You can access tens of thousands of owner direct holiday rental offers and hundreds of special offers... all in the palm of your hand.
3D bird's-eye view of locations
MediaVacationRentals.com is the only website with a 3D bird's eye view of the rentals so you can discover all the surrounding area: beach, forests, trails, etc.
The interactive map enables you to discover the distances between the rental and the main centres of interest.
ADAR+, ADAR Europ Assistance Insurance
For around 4% or 5% of the listings on our site, the renter benefits from a multirisk insurance policy specially designed for vacation rentals. More information.
Alerts, special offers and last minute deals
To be kept updated on all the latest last minute deals and to get the best bargains, click here.